Once you've set your business hours for your Department the next step is setting up your call routing rules for when your line is open vs when it's closed.
To get started, navigate to Admin Settings > Departments and select your Department to access Business Hours & Call Handling > Details.
Remember, if you've selected specific hours for your line, you'll need to go through these steps twice: once for open hours routing and once for closed.
Route Calls to Operators
If you select Operators:
- Choose the routing order you'd like from the list
- If no Operator answers, callers are routed to your Fallback option
Keep in mind that selecting Operators gives you the ability to change how long calls ring out to Operators before defaulting to your second option.
The Operator routing options are:
- Longest Idle: Operators are rung individually based on whoever has been idle the longest
- Fixed Order: Operators are rung individually based on the same fixed order (The order you set for this routing option, will apply to both Open and Closed hours)
- Round Robin: Operators are rung individually based on a rotating fixed order (The order you set for this routing option, will apply to both Open and Closed hours)
- Simultaneous: All operators are rung at once
Other Routing Options
If you select Other Routing Options:
- No Operators are rung
- Callers are routed to one of the available options listed below
Directly to Voicemail
Select this option to route callers straight to your Main Line or Department voicemail.
If you choose this option, make sure you’ve set open and/or closed hours voicemail greeting.
To a Message
If you'd rather direct callers to a message without the option to leave a voicemail, select To a Message to play an automated response.
Just like with your voicemail, you'll be able to either use our default message, record your own, or upload a pre-recorded one.
To Another Department
Select this option to route callers to another Department or your Main Line. You’ll just need to select the available Department or Main Line from the drop-down menu.
You'll even have the option to create a brand new Department, too.
To Another Team Member, Phone, or Number
Select this option to route callers to a specific team member/room phone/phone number.
Either type in the team member or room phone’s name to pull it up via search. If entering a phone number outside of Dialpad, hit Enter after you’ve added the number to save.
Automated Response Menu
Select this option to route callers through an automated response menu where a system greeting will read off the preset menu options you choose.
If you prefer, you can record or upload your own greeting to play for your callers.
Selecting automated response menu will give you the following options to assign to each number:
- Dial by name directory
- Dial by extension directory
- Forward to a Department (pick from a drop-down list)
- Forward to a person/#
- Leave a voicemail
- Recorded Message
Forward to a Person/#
To forward to a person/# outside of Dialpad you'll need to:
- Enter the number
- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Add a name to the number when prompted
If the number you add already exists as a contact in your Dialpad, the name will auto-populate here and will not be able to be changed. To edit the name that appears, you will need to search for the contact in your Dialpad App and make the change there.
Need to have a specific recorded message play as one of your dial options? Select Recorded Message to upload or record your own message.
If you select to route callers back to Operators:
- All Operators are rung based on the routing option you have selected in Routing to Operators.
- If no Operators answer, the caller will be routed back to your automated response menu
A welcome greeting is the first greeting that callers will hear when they reach your call center. This section defaults to no greeting, however, you have the option to record or upload your own.
IVR Menu Language
Select the language of the IVR menu language that the caller will hear. For more information on this feature check our help article here.
The changes you make to this setting will reflect on both open and closed hours.
Choose how long an operator will ring before Dialpad assumes the operator is not available. The changes you make to this setting will reflect in both open and closed hours.
A call gets put in a Hold queue when all available operators are busy on other calls. Once Operators become available, any waiting calls will be routed to them.
Department admins have the option to enable and configure their hold queue in this section. For more information on setting up a hold queue for your department, check out our help article here.
If no operators are available during your business hours or if enabled, your hold-queue limit has been reached, your calls will route to whichever option you select from this menu.
- Directly to voicemail (Operators can receive notifications when voicemails are left if they've enabled this option)
- To a message (no voicemail)
- To another department/call center
- To a team member/room phone/number
- To an automated response menu
Lastly, if you have your Fallback option set to "Directly to Voicemail" or "Leave a Voicemail" as one of your automated response menu options, you'll want to make sure to set the voicemail greeting for your Department.
You have the option to use our default greeting, or record or upload your own custom greeting.