- 04 Oct 2023
- 6 Minutes to read
Send a Message
- Updated on 04 Oct 2023
- 6 Minutes to read
Dialpad offers external SMS and MMS services, as well as our internal Dialpad Chat — allowing you to keep your lines of communication open from anywhere within Dialpad.
Dialpad sends messages via an internet connection, starting a 'chat' between Dialpad users.
If the contact you're messaging isn't a Dialpad user, messages are sent via traditional SMS/MMS-based networks.
Let's dive into the details.
Send a message (Chat & SMS)
To send a chat or SMS message from the Dialpad app, select Message in the left sidebar.
- Select the Message icon in the left sidebar
- Enter a contact's name or number
- Type your message
- Press the Enter key when you're ready to send the message
Looking to communicate with GIFs? Just type '/giphy' and a term, then press the Enter key to display a GIF matching your entry. Hover over the GIF to play it.
Depending on who you are messaging, character limits may apply:
- Messages sent to non-Dialpad numbers have a character count limit of 1500 characters (160 characters per page).
- If your message contains emojis or special characters, the character count reduces to 63 characters/page.
- Dialpad-to-Dialpad messages are unlimited.
Send an image or video (Chat & MMS)
To send an image or video via chat (MMS), drag and drop the image or video into your conversation thread or select the image icon to open your device's file browser.
Select a photo or video, then start typing the message (if necessary) and press the Enter key.
Messages sent to users outside of Dialpad that include a photo or video are MMS-based (multimedia messaging service).
Supported MMS Files
Whether in a group or a one-on-one Dialpad chat, MMS between Dialpad and PSTN is limited to 500KB for both images and video. Between Dialpad users in group or Dialpad chat, the size limit is 32MB.
You can see all of the supported MMS file formats in the image above. (Pure audio files are not supported at this time.)
Forward a message
To forward a message to another Dialpad User, first, head to your Dialpad App Inbox.
- Navigate to Messages
- Navigate to the message you'd like to forward
- Select the down arrow to access the drop-down menu
- Select the Forward
- Search a contact's name or enter an email address, and add an additional message if required
- Select Forward Message to finish and send
Edit a message
Did you type your instead of you’re? Not to worry, Dialpad makes it easy to edit messages after sending them.
- Click the 3 dots in the options menu beside your message
- Select Edit
- Type your updated text message into the box
- Select Save Changes
Your message will be instantly updated, and you’ll see an Edited stamp underneath the message.
You can only edit messages sent within your company.
If you are in a group conversation and have included an external contact, you will not be able to edit any messages in the group conversation.
Add humor and delight to your conversations with emoji reactions!
Add emoji reactions
Adding emoji reactions is quick, and simple and adds a personal touch to your message. Follow the steps below to add emoji reactions.
- Select the message you would like to react to by hovering over the message
- Click the smiley face
- Select your desired emoji from the recommended emojis, or search the emoji library.
Your emoji will appear beneath the message — add as many as you like!
For mobile users, long-press on any message, tap on one of the shortcut emojis, or the plus icon, to access the full emoji library.
Once one emoji has been added, click the smiley beside the other emojis to add more.
Emoji skin tone
Bring out your individuality and diversity by choosing a specific skin tone for your hand and people emojis.
If you don't set a custom skin tone, your skin tone will display as yellow.
To change your emoji's skin tone:
- Select the emoji icon
- Select the hand emoji
- Choose the desired skin tone
That's it! Any hand or person emojis will now display your preferred skin tone.
Remove emoji reactions
Oops, did you get a little over-the-top with emoji reactions? To remove an emoji reaction, simply click on, or tap, the emoji and it will disappear.
Emoji reactions are only available for messages sent within your company.
If you are in a group conversation and have included an external contact, you will not be able to react to any messages in the group conversation.
SMS delivery receipt
Delivery receipts let you know if your message was successfully sent, or if there was a hiccup and you need to try again.
Delivery receipts are available for direct Dialpad SMS message conversations, on the desktop and mobile apps.
You’ll see one of the following confirmation messages for your one-on-one messages:
- Sent: The recipient's operator received our message and it is ready to be sent to the recipient’s carrier.
- Delivered: The message was accepted by the recipient's carrier.
- Message Failed: The message could not be sent.
- i.e. the destination is switched off, unavailable, blocked, unknown, suspended accounts, queue overflow, etc.
- Undelivered: The message was not delivered.
- This could happen for many reasons, including carrier content filtering and the availability of the recipient’s phone.NoteA delivery receipt is not a read receipt, it does not mean the recipient has read or viewed your message.Delivery receipts let you know that Dialpad has successfully or unsuccessfully sent the SMS message to the recipient's provider.
- This could happen for many reasons, including carrier content filtering and the availability of the recipient’s phone.
In your Office Analytics, you'll see find a breakdown of how many messages were successfully sent, delivered, failed, or undelivered.
Frequently asked questions
Does it cost money to send an external SMS/MMS?
Dialpad to Dialpad messages are free and unlimited, all outbound SMS/MMS is pay-per-message.
That said, Dialpad will cover the cost of the first 250 outbound SMS/MMS of every Ai Voice (formerly Dialpad Talk) user every month, and inbound SMS/MMS messages are free for Ai Voice users.
*For our UK users, SMS messaging is an add-on feature. Please reach out to our Sales team, or your Customer Success Manager for more information.
Can I send a message from a secondary number (group or personal)?
No, only a primary number can be used to send or reply to a message — even when replying to a message that was received on a secondary number.
That said, when the primary number is not SMS-capable, Dialpad will then send the message from the first SMS-capable number on the list.
Why can't I edit a message in a group conversation?
You can, as long as all the group participants are using Dialpad. If you are in a group conversation and there is even one external contact, you will not be able to edit any messages in the group conversation.
Can I disable SMS for a Dialpad line?
Definitely! One of the joys of Dialpad is how completely customizable it is. We can turn off SMS capabilities for individuals, or even for the whole company. To do this, you'll need to reach out to Customer Support. However, be aware that this disables all internal messaging not done via Dialpad Channels.
Can I send international text messages?
Not at this time. However, you can still message team members in Dialpad if they are in another country.
Can I tag someone in a message?
Yes, absolutely! Type "@" before their name and select their name from the pop-up menu.
This is particularly useful in group or channel messages.
Can I reference a channel in a message?
Yes! Type "#" before the channel name and select from the pop-up menu.
Can I send a bit.ly link?
No. We do not support outbound SMS with bit.ly links.
Why did I receive an error that says 'insufficient credit'?
Outbound messages are billed on a per-message rate and paid via credits. If you receive a notification stating 'insufficient credits' it means your message was not sent due to a lack of credits. Choose to automatically add credits to your account to prevent this from happening again.