Once you've set your business hours for Call Center, the next step is setting up your call routing rules for when your line is open vs when it's closed.
To get started, navigate to Admin Settings > Call Centers and select your Call Center to access Business Hours & Call Handling.
Remember, if you've selected specific hours for your line, you'll need to go through these steps twice: once for open hours routing and once for closed.
Route Calls to Agents
If you select Agents:
- Choose the routing order you'd like from the list
- If no Agent answers, callers will be routed to your Hold Queue
Keep in mind that selecting Agents gives you the ability to change how long calls ring out to Agents before defaulting to your second option.
What will your callers hear if you select Agents?
The expected (default) behavior when we first ring out to agents is the caller will hear a ringing sound and then all following attempts to ring out to an available agent they will hear hold music. If you would like to change this behavior reach out to our Support Team.
The Agent routing options are:
- Longest Idle: Agents are rung individually based on whoever has been idle the longest
- If you choose the longest idle routing, please note, your agent's idle time will be reset if they place an outbound call.
- Fixed order: Agents are rung individually based on the same fixed order. (The order you set for this routing option, will apply to both Open and Closed hours)
- Round robin: Agents are rung individually based on a rotating fixed order (The order you set for this routing option, will apply to both Open and Closed hours)
- Skills-Based: Agents are rung individually from highest to lowest skill level that the Admin sets. (The order you set for this routing option, will apply to both Open and Closed hours)
Other Routing Options
If you select Other Routing Options:
- No Agents are rung
- Callers are routed to one of the available options listed below
Directly to Voicemail
Select this option to route callers straight to your Call Center voicemail. Agents will receive a notification when a voicemail is received.
If you choose this option, make sure you’ve set your open and/or closed hours voicemail greeting.
To a Message
If you'd rather direct callers to a message without the option to leave a voicemail, select To a Message to play an automated response.
Just like with your voicemail or system greeting, you'll be able to either use our default message, record your own, or upload a pre-recorded one.
To Another Department
Select this option to route callers to another Call Center, Department, or your Main Line.
You'll even have the option to create a brand new Department, too.
To Another Team Member, Phone, or Number
Select this option to route callers to a specific team member/room phone/phone number.
Either type in the team member or room phone’s name to pull it up via search. If entering a phone number outside of Dialpad, hit Enter after you’ve added the number to save.
Automated Response Menu
Select this option to route callers through an automated response menu where a system greeting will read off the preset menu options you choose.
If you prefer, you can record or upload your own greeting to play for your callers.
Selecting automated response menu will give you the following options to assign to each number:
- Dial by name directory
- Dial by extension directory
- Forward to a Department (pick from a drop-down list)
- Forward to a person/#
- Leave a voicemail
To forward to a person/# outside of Dialpad you'll need to:
- Enter the number
- Hit Enter on your keyboard
- Add a name to the number when prompted
If the number you add already exists as a contact in your Dialpad, the name will auto-populate here and will not be able to be changed. To edit the name that appears, you will need to search for the contact in your Dialpad app and make the changes there.
A welcome greeting is the first greeting that callers will hear when they reach your call center. This section defaults to no greeting, however, you have the option to record or upload your own.
IVR Menu Language
Select the language of the IVR menu language that caller will hear. For more information on this feature check our help article here.
The changes you make to this setting will reflect on both open and closed hours.
Choose how long an agent will ring before Dialpad assumes the agent is not available. The changes you make to this setting will reflect in both open and closed hours.
Hold Queue and Limits
After selecting Agents, you'll need to set your Hold Queue rules as well as limits for max callers and max time on hold.
Once those are set, you can add or select a hold greeting, which is the greeting callers will hear when they are placed on hold and add or select the hold music for callers to listen to while they are in your hold queue.
Don't want your callers just listening to hold music? Admins can Enable Delay Greeting in their Hold Queue to play a greeting every configured minutes while callers wait.
Advanced Hold Queue Settings
Our call center hold queue also has the following advanced settings available for you to configure:
- Allow callers to be placed in your hold queue when no agents are available
- Allow existing calls to stay in the queue after your call center has closed - if this setting is not checked, callers who are in your hold queue at the end of your business day will be routed to your Fallback Options.
- Let callers know their place in the queue
- Allow callers to exit the hold queue and go to voicemail
- Allow callers to request a callback
If your Hold Queue limit is reached and/or no Agents are on duty during business hours, your calls will route to whichever option you select from this menu.
- Directly to voicemail (Agents can receive notifications when voicemails are left if they've enabled this option)
- To a message (no voicemail)
- To another department/call center
- To a team member/room phone/number
- To an automated response menu
Lastly, if you have your Fallback options set to "Directly to Voicemail" or "Leave a Voicemail" as one of your automated response menu options, you'll want to make sure to set the voicemail greeting for your Call Center.
You have the option to use our default greeting, or record or upload your own custom greeting.