- 28 Nov 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Customize Your Caller ID
- Updated on 28 Nov 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
Caller ID - it's hard to imagine phone calls without it!
By default, your outbound caller ID is set to your primary, direct Dialpad number. That doesn't mean you can't tweak it for one-off calls, or even globally. Admins can, however, limit certain caller ID features office-wide.
Let's take a look at how to adjust your caller ID for individual calls.
Set your global caller ID
Unify your caller ID across all your devices by setting your Global Caller ID.
To set your global caller ID, head to Your Settings from Dialpad.com
- Navigate to Your Settings
- Navigate to Caller ID
- Choose a number from the drop-down menu
You may need to refresh your web browser for the changes to take effect, and now the global caller ID will be the default choice across your devices.
Global caller ID:
- Only applies to outbound calls
- Only applies to external calls
- Doesn't apply to SMS
- Doesn't take the place of handling calls as an operator or agent; therefore, department or contact center settings (such as automatic call recording) don't apply
- Displays across all devices (including desk phones) running on the desktop and mobile apps
Want your global ID to apply to internal calls, too? Or perhaps you'd like your contact center or the department's advanced settings (such as automatic call recording) to be applied?
No problem! Reach out to our Support team to make this change.
Adjust your caller ID
Currently, caller ID cannot be updated via desk phones.
Let's take a look at how to adjust your caller ID from the Dialpad app.
Adjust caller ID from the main dialer
To adjust your caller ID from your main dialer, head to your Dialpad app.
- Select Make a Call
- Select Change
- Choose a number in the drop-down
- Enter the number or contact you'd like to call, then press enter to start dialing
Adjust caller ID from a conversation thread
Caller ID can also be customized in the conversation thread view.
From the conversation thread view in the Dialpad app:
- Select the drop-down option beside the Phone icon
- Navigate to the From section
- Choose a number
- Select the phone icon to call
Block your caller ID
There may be a time when you need to block your caller ID.
To block your caller ID when placing a call:
- Select the Drop-Down icon alongside the Phone icon
- Navigate to From
- Select Block my caller ID (Calling Only)
Call history will remain listed under the contact; remember that this feature is only reflected on contacts outside of your company.
Set incoming caller ID
Incoming caller ID distinguishes personal calls from Dialpad calls.
To set your incoming caller ID, head to Your Settings from Dialpad.com
- Navigate to Your Devices
- Select Advanced Settings
- Navigate to Incoming caller ID
- Choose the desired options for each section
- Calls to your personal Dialpad number: displays the caller's number or your Dialpad number
- Calls to your departments/office main line: displays the caller's number or the department number
- Calls to your executives: displays the caller's number or the executive's number
- Select Save Changes
It will then adjust accordingly on forwarding devices.