By default, your outbound ID is set to your personal Dialpad #. That doesn't mean you can't tweak it for one-off calls, or even globally. Administrators can, however, limit certain caller ID features office-wide.
First, let's take a look at how to adjust your caller ID for individual calls.
Adjust your Caller ID
You can adjust your caller ID for individual calls by either:
- Selecting an available ID from the New Call From drop-down
- Clicking the drop-down arrow next to the Call icon within a conversation thread
To select an ID from the New Call From drop-down you'll need to be:
- An Operator of your Main Line/Department
- An Executive Assistant
- An Agent of a Call Queue
To select an ID from the Call icon within a conversation thread, you'll only have two options:
- Call with my personal ID
- Block my caller ID
Once your call completes, your caller ID will automatically toggle back to your global setting.
Now let's take a look at making a global change to your ID.
Global Caller ID
Want to mask all of your outbound calls? With global caller ID, you're able to mask your direct number with another number from your Office's account (like your Main Line) or block it completely.
To get started, navigate to Dialpad.com > Your Settings > Caller ID to select one of your available options.
Keep in mind the following feature details:
- Global ID is only applied to outbound calls
- Global ID doesn't take the place of handling calls as an Operator or Agent
- In other words, your Department or Call Queue settings don't apply here (automatic call recording for instance)
- Global ID displays across all devices (desktop, desk phone, mobile)
- Global ID only applies to users outside of your Company
Whichever option you choose should now display as the new ID. You may need to refresh your browser for the changes to display.
Block your Caller ID
If you're looking for a little privacy from a specific caller, you can opt to block your caller ID. Note that this is different from your global caller ID setting as this is a one-call option.
- Open a conversation thread with your intended contact (outside your Company)
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to your Call icon to select Block my caller ID
Your call history will remain under the personal contact. Keep in mind that just with global caller ID, this feature is only reflected on contacts outside of your Company.
Dialpad Tip: You can always opt to dial *67 before your recipient's # to block your caller ID or *87 to unblock it.
Have more questions about caller IDs? Check out our FAQ.