After setting up your Main Line you may find it helpful to route callers to a specific group or team, like Customer Support or Sales. That's where Departments come into play.
Create a Department
To get started, navigate to Dialpad.com > Admin Settings > Departments > Add a Department.
After creating your Department, you'll be able to add local or toll-free numbers as well as add a fax number (additional charges apply).
Assigned Operators & Phones
Next, you'll need to assign team members as Operators to make and receive calls on your Department. You can make any Operator a Department Admin by selecting this from the drop-down menu.
You'll also have the option to add a room phone as an Operator, in cases where you may want a shared phone to ring out (like at reception).
You can add up to 25 Operators and/or phones to a single Department.
Business Hours & Call Handling
The business hours & call handling section isn't just responsible for when calls come into your Department, but how those calls are handled once they're received.
This section includes areas to:
- Set business hours for your Department
- Set rules for call routing during open hours vs closed
- Set or record your Department voicemail
- Upload or record your Welcome Greeting
Your advanced settings give you, even more, control over your Department. Scroll through this section to set:
- Enable Voice Intelligence (if enabled by the Office Admin in the Office Settings)
- Automatic call recording (including recording prompt)
- Call waiting for Operators
- Department Caller ID
- Department Failover Number