After setting up your Main Line you may find it helpful to route callers to a specific group or team, like Customer Support or Sales. That's where Departments come into play.
Create a Department
To get started, navigate to Dialpad.com > Admin Settings > Departments > Add a Department.
After creating your Department, you'll be able to add local or toll-free numbers as well as add a fax number (additional charges apply).
Assigned Operators & Phones
Next, you'll need to assign team members as Operators to make and receive calls on your Department. You can make any Operator a Department Admin by selecting this from the drop-down menu.
You'll also have the option to add a room phone as an Operator, in cases where you may want a shared phone to ring out (like at reception).
You can add up to 25 Operators and/or phones to a single Department.
Business Hours & Call Handling
The business hours & call handling section isn't just responsible for when calls come into your Department, but how those calls are handled once they're received.
Normal Business Hours
This section includes areas to:
- Set business hours for your Department
- Set rules for call routing during open hours vs closed
- Upload or record your Welcome Greeting
- Select the language of the IVR menu language that callers will hear
- Set your Ring Duration
- Enable and Set up your Department Hold Queue
- Set up your Department Fallback Options
- Set or record your Department voicemail
Open different hours during the holidays or company events? No problem! You will also have the option to set up Holiday hours for how calls are handled on those specific days during the year your business hours change for holidays or company events.
This section allows you to configure your integration settings for that Department specifically.
Take a look at our Integrations Category of our Help Center for further insight into each of our available Integrations.
Your advanced settings give you, even more, control over your Department. Scroll through this section to set:
- Set your preferred Voice Intelligence settings
- Automatic call recording (including recording prompt)
- Call waiting for Operators
- Send email notifications for voicemails and faxes to additional email addresses
- Department Caller ID
- Department Failover Number