Whether it's SMS, MMS, or Dialpad chat, read on to learn how to keep the lines of communication open from anywhere.
Messaging in Dialpad vs. SMS and MMS
Messages sent through Dialpad are sent via an internet connection.
However, if the contact you're messaging isn't a Dialpad user, messages are sent via traditional SMS networks. In either case, sending and receiving messages is completely free as part of your account.
Send an SMS
Messages sent to users outside of Dialpad are SMS (short message service).
To send an SMS:
- Click on New Message
- Type your contact's number
- Click enter to select
- Click New Message at the bottom of your screen to begin typing
By default, your message will be sent from your personal Dialpad number, although you'll have the option to change this at the top of your screen if you've been assigned as an Operator on another line.
Send an MMS
Messages sent to users outside of Dialpad that include a photo and/or video are MMS (multimedia messaging service).
To send a photo and/or video:
- Drag and drop the file right into your conversation thread
- Click on the camera icon to browse through your files
Supported MMS Files
Whether in a group or a one-on-one Dialpad chat, MMS between Dialpad and PSTN is limited to 2MB for both images and video. Between Dialpad users in group or Dialpad chat, the size limit is 32MB.
Here's a list of all the supported file formats:
Send a Chat
Messages sent between Dialpad users are considered a chat and incorporate the ability to send text, photos, and videos.
Rather say it with a GIF? Just add a /giphy (command) then press Enter to display a GIF matching your entry. Hover over the GIF to display the searched word.
Send a Group Message
- Click on New Message
- Start typing in your contact's names and/or numbers
- After each contact name and/or number, press enter to add another contact to your recipient list
- Once all contacts are added, click on New Message at the bottom of your screen to begin typing
Started a group chat with users from your company? You'll see the option to Add Members to the group sidebar.
Need a little break? Any group that has more than 4 users within it (including yourself) will give users the option to remove themselves from the group — or you could opt to mute notifications in general.
Forward a Message
Need to forward a message over to another team member? Just follow these steps:
- Navigate to Inbox > Messages
- Select Forward from the drop-down menu
- Search for your team member name
- Add an additional message (if you want)
- Select Forward to finish and send