Whether it's SMS, MMS, or chat between Dialpad users, read on to learn how to keep the lines of communication open from anywhere.
Messaging in Dialpad vs SMS and MMS
Messages sent through Dialpad are sent via an internet connection. If the contact you're messaging isn't a Dialpad user, messages are sent via traditional SMS networks.
In either case, sending and receiving messages is completely free as part of your account.
Messages sent to users outside of Dialpad are SMS-based (short message service).
To send an SMS-based message:
- From Dialpad, select Send A Message (drop-down button defaults to Make A Call)
- Type your contact's name or phone number
- Select the contact
- Select the New message textbox at the bottom and start typing your message
By default, your message will be sent from your personal Dialpad number, although you'll have the option to change this at the top of your screen if you've been assigned as an Operator on another line.
Messages sent to users outside of Dialpad that include a photo and/or video are MMS-based (multimedia messaging service).
To send a photo/video as an MMS-based message:
- Drag-and-drop the image/video into your conversation thread or
- Select the Camera icon to open your file browser and select an image/video
Supported MMS Files
Whether in a group or a one-on-one Dialpad chat, MMS between Dialpad and PSTN is limited to 2MB for both images and video. Between Dialpad users in group or Dialpad chat, the size limit is 32MB.
Here's a list of all the supported file formats:
Messages sent between Dialpad users are considered a chat and incorporate the ability to send text, photos, and videos.
Rather say it with a GIF? Just add a "/giphy" (command), then press the Enter key to display a GIF matching your entry. Hover over the GIF to display the searched word.
Forward a Message
Need to forward a message over to another team member? Just follow these steps:
- Navigate to Inbox > Messages
- Select Forward from the drop-down menu
- Search for your contact's name
- Add an additional message (if necessary)
- Select Forward Message to finish and send